The Salak fruit (thai name: Ra Kam): fresh Exotic Thai Fruit
The Salak is a type of palm that grows approximately two meters high and its fruit grows in bunches in the shade. The fruit has been given the name ‘snake fruit’ because of its scaly skin that mirrors that of a snake. The salak is a small fruit that is similar in size to a fig. The insides of the fruit are similar to a pulp texture with three lobes, which look similar to cloves of garlic and contain three seeds. Usually, the taste of the fruit is acidic and sweet but its texture can be crunchy and apple-like.
The fruit is remarkably beneficial for certain ailments. When mixed with honey and water and ingested, the Salak fruit is used to alleviate heartburn and indigestion.
The fruit and its scaly exterior look interesting and that is why you will see the Salak fruit used in fruit platters and Thai desserts. Children really like the salak because of the sweet taste. The fruit grows in seasons in many parts of Thailand and can be easily obtain from the local market or large supermarkets when the season is upon us. This tasty fruit is produced throughout southern Asia and should be tried when visiting the region.
How to Make Bean Salak:
- 600 g yellow sweet potatoes, peeled, steamed, mashed
- 100 g flour
- 1 tsp fine salt
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 100 g brown sugar, chopped fine
- 100 g sugar
- 1500 ml of water
- 1 pandan leaves, cut into pieces
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cm cinnamon
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 150 g piece of fresh agar-agar
How to Make Bean Salak kolak:
- Seeds Salak: Mix the sweet potatoes that have been mashed with flour, vanilla, food coloring and salt and stir well. Take one teaspoon of dough, bentul into the dots. Heat the water, boil the beans until cooked and floating salak. Lift. Enter cooked in cold water, drain.
- Sauce: Boil water, put sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, pandan leaf pieces, a solution of starch and salt and stir well. Cook, stirring, boil and stir until cooked. Shortly before his appointment, enter the seed salak and stir well. Lift.
- Serving: Pour soup beans salak and its contents into the serving bowl. Add the chopped jelly and coconut milk. Serve warm.